Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

January 2009 - Marko's choice

This is a discussion on January 2009 - Marko's choice within the Admin's choice of the month forums, part of the Photography & Fine art photography category; Hi members, This is a new suggestion from a thread by Mad Aussie (Thanks! ) where the Admin (me) chooses ...

Marko is offline Administrator
    My Photos
    Please do NOT edit my photos
    Critiques
    Critique my photos anywhere in the forum

Default January 2009 - Marko's choice

Hi members,

This is a new suggestion from a thread by Mad Aussie (Thanks!)
    where the Admin (me) chooses one good photo each month from this Show forum to talk about and suggest why it is good as a learning tool. Feel free to add comments about this suggestion in the link above.

Okay here goes with the following caveat since this is the first month: Since I am choosing from many excellent choices, I am kind of going for which photo I think is the 'best'. Usually I am looking for technical quality plus that 'it' factor. January was a hard month as there were quite a few with the 'it' factor but no technically perfect photos in my opinion and I teetered hard between 3 photos which I don't want to mention. Since we all have opinions, some members may disagree with my choice. That's cool but THIS thread is not the place for debate over my pick, NOR is it the place to further critique the image. The purpose here is to suggest strong elements in the photo that we may learn from.

In the end the photo I have chosen is this photo below by Kat .I really like the following photograph because it has so many good things going for it. First off the eyes are wicked good and the eye closest to the camera is nice and sharp and it draws the viewer's eye right in. The selective focus is excellent here! The child's gaze is extremely captivating, inquisitive and suggests daydreaming (a story, sort of). The lighting is soft and interesting and the soft tones in this shot mesh beautifully with the child's soft gaze. The exposure is excellent. Although I don't want to spend much time at all on them, my nits are the hand crop, the messyish hair on the right side and the child's right cheek edge that could be slightly stronger. Despite that, this image spoke to me in some way and I love to look at this beautiful portrait. So for January 2009 - this is my pick:
    Many thanks - Marko
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by Marko; 02-05-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: added link to photo
    - Please connect with me further
    Photo tours of Montreal - Private photography courses
    - Join the new Photography.ca Facebook page
    - Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/markokulik
    - Follow me on Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/111159185852360398018/posts
    - Check out the photography podcast

"You have to milk the cow quite a lot, and get plenty of milk to get a little cheese." Henri Cartier-Bresson from The Decisive Moment.

jjeling is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Please feel free to edit my photos
    Critiques

Its all in the eyes baby! That was a bad joke. Anyways, this is an excellent image. Extremely desaturated, but not quite B&W. Then eyes stand out like a sore thumb. It is impossible not to stare at them, like they are staring at whatever they are staring at. I completely agree with Marko, this is an excellent image. I think there were a few more that could have been a better choice though. HAHA!!! Had to say something, you mentioned it yourself anyways. Nice job Kat. This is definitely one for the wall.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/28054853@N08/

Photography is more than just taking a picture and freezing the action, or leaving the shutter open. It is more than orchestrating the image with the stroke of a brush. Its the realization and explanation that reality is an isolated experience in which only a specific individual can comprehend during any given time period. - Your Truly!

kiley9806 is offline Senior Member
    My Photos

beautiful choice marko - absolutely stunning shot... the mother is in heaven, im sure! good one kat!!

mindforge is offline Senior Member

When I look at photos, I think about the 12 things that make a great one and this has a bunch of them. Impact right when you first see it, that is important. Good pick Marko.

kat
    kat is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Please ask before editing my photos
    Critiques
    Only critique photos posted in the critique forum

Wow.

Well thank you! Didn't expect to see this today! Definately put a smile on my face - especially since this is one of my most favorite of my daughter and now I can see it's not just because it's of my daughter!

Thank you again!

Mad Aussie is offline Moderator
    My Photos
    Please ask before editing my photos

Barefoot is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Critiques

Most excellent choice! A true winner by any standard.
    We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. -Anaïs Nin

http://barefoot.pixu.com/

dmagick is offline Member

Excellent choice Marko Congrats Kat!

Marko is offline Administrator
    My Photos
    Critiques

I'll also be posting my picks on the Photography.ca flickr group. There's only a few pics there now, but I'd also like to get that group a bit busier.

Thx!
    marko
    - Please connect with me further
    Photo tours of Montreal - Private photography courses
    - Join the new Photography.ca Facebook page
    - Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/markokulik
    - Follow me on Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/111159185852360398018/posts
    - Check out the photography podcast

"You have to milk the cow quite a lot, and get plenty of milk to get a little cheese." Henri Cartier-Bresson from The Decisive Moment.

Ben H is offline Senior Member

It's a really good shot, indeed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast