I am sure we have all heard of things to do to improve our photography. With all the workshops, websites, podcasts, etc. there is a wealth of self assignments for people to try to improve their photo techniques. So lets share your favourite tasks here. I'll start with this one.
Learning to see what you lens sees:
- Take your lens, if it is a zoom set it at one focal length.
- Now for the fun part, get on your belly and while looking through your camera crawl around your house, yard, local park.....
- Observe how perspective and composition changes as you move about
- Now get on your knees and repeat the above
- Work your way up even use a chair or step ladder if you wish
As you do this you will start to learn how your lens sees the world, how perspectives change. Try this with each lens you own or at different zoom settings. Soon you will be able to look at a scene and know what lens/focal length you want to use first. This helps when subjects aren't going to stay for you to try everything in your bag. It may also show you new ways of seeing.