Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sharper images with 70-300 lens??????

This is a discussion on Sharper images with 70-300 lens?????? within the Digital photography forums, part of the Photography & Fine art photography category; I am having a lot of trouble getting nice and sharp shots when using the long lens ... Thing is ...

casil403 is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Please do NOT edit my photos
    Critiques
    Only critique photos posted in the critique forum

Default Sharper images with 70-300 lens??????

I am having a lot of trouble getting nice and sharp shots when using the long lens ... Thing is they look pretty sharp in the camera, then when I get them home I am disappointed cuz they lack sharpness and I'm not sure what I'm doing incorrectly. I see other members shots on here who have used 70-300 lenses and they are so sharp! What are you all doing to get these great long distance shots of birds/animals that I'm not?

Anyone have comments/ideas/suggestions/thoughts/advice on how to fix this? I'd really appreciate the help...

PS...Here's some examples below....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Last edited by casil403; 05-23-2009 at 07:44 PM.
    "Life is like photography, we develop from the negatives"-anonymous
    My website: www.albertaandbeyond.com

Lovin is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Please ask before editing my photos
    Critiques
    Critique my photos anywhere in the forum

What 70-300 Casil? Canon or Nikon?

My Photos
    Critiques

Pentax Lovin...I hope you aren't a betting guy...

jlabel is offline Senior Member

Sorry to say that, but I have never seen any 70-300mm lens that appealed to me (nikon, canon or sony).
    I had once a 70-300G Nikkor, I think it was the worst lens ever never sharp even at 105mm f8. and the problem here with you is not you, it is the lens.
    I now use a 80-200 F4 all mechanic built 80's or earlier and it is marvelous.

kat
    kat is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Critiques

Hmm..now debating on this lens..lol
    My new blog as of Nov/10
    http://katchickloski.wordpress.com/

Marko is offline Administrator
    My Photos
    Critiques

This is a very poor test to gauge a lens's sharpness.

Shots 1 and 3 show a shutter speed of 1/350 and 1/250 respectively. These speeds are too slow for use on a 300 mm lens trying to track a moving target and reveal zero information about the sharpness of this lens. IF your focus was bang on (which is VERY hard) and you shot at 1/1000, then maybe we could attribute this lack of sharpness to the lens, maybe.

The rule of thumb is 1/focal length of the lens so shot 2 is too slow even for a stationary subject let alone something as fast as a bird.

Slap the lens on a tripod and shoot some text on a newspaper pasted to your wall at different apertures. Use a cable release. NOW you can gauge sharpness. Hope that helps - Marko
    - Please connect with me further
    Photo tours of Montreal - Private photography courses
    - Join the new Photography.ca Facebook page
    - Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/markokulik
    - Follow me on Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/111159185852360398018/posts
    - Check out the photography podcast

"You have to milk the cow quite a lot, and get plenty of milk to get a little cheese." Henri Cartier-Bresson from The Decisive Moment.

My Photos
    Critiques

Thanks for the input everyone....I kinda figured it's probably something I am doing wrong. Marko, I just posted those as some examples mostly of my frustration and disappointment in shots I thought looked good in camera but ended up sucking in post. Thanks for the input and advice...much appreciated.
    I love the lens, but I'm having a b-word of a time getting it correct. So much turns out either too dark or not in great focus. I do get the occasional shot correct tho.
    I'm having trouble figuring out this lens and how it works, how to adjust it etc.
    Guess I'll do some reading...any good sites I might consider looking at?

Thanks again...

tirediron is offline Senior Member

Don't have any 'sites to recommend, but a few suggestions:

1. Practice, practice, practice and then practice some more; the beauty of digital is that the film is cheap!

2. Shoot, review, adjust, shoot, review... you get the picture.

3. While you're practicing, I suggest trying the following:

a. Set your camera to shutter priority and then set your shutter speed to 1/500th of a second (as you become more familiar with the lens, you can dial this down a bit)

b. Set your focusing to that it's only usuing a single point, and ALWAYS pay attention to where the camera is focusing and adjust as required

c. Understand the DoF of this lens; remember, long focal lengths have much shallower depths of field at a given aperture then shorter focal lengths.

Good luck!

F8&Bthere is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Please feel free to edit my photos

Casil shoots Pentax so I'm betting she has in body shake reduction turned on most of the time when shooting hand held and I'm also betting these were shot hand held. While I also have some Pentax gear and find the SR to be a cool and helpful feature, I think the longer the focal length the less effective it is. And any kind of stabilization, be it in lens or in body, while great in a pinch, can't solve subject motion and is rarely a worthy replacement for a tripod (or at least monopod) especially when shooting long-ish slow-ish consumer zooms. I thought I had pretty steady hands until I started using longer lenses and became a full fledged pixel peeper.

Lovin is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Critiques

Quote Originally Posted by jlabel View Post
    Sorry to say that, but I have never seen any 70-300mm lens that appealed to me (nikon, canon or sony).
    I had once a 70-300G Nikkor, I think it was the worst lens ever never sharp even at 105mm f8. and the problem here with you is not you, it is the lens.
    I now use a 80-200 F4 all mechanic built 80's or earlier and it is marvelous.
    Did you study the Olympus one ? Zuiko 70-300mm (35mm ~ 140-600mm).

Follow Michaelaw's posts to see how sharp this lens is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast