Selling/giving prints

This is a discussion on Selling/giving prints within the General photography forums, part of the Photography & Fine art photography category; When selling your prints, do you have a border, name in it or just the photo itself? I know many ...

kat
    kat is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Please ask before editing my photos
    Critiques
    Only critique photos posted in the critique forum

Default Selling/giving prints

When selling your prints, do you have a border, name in it or just the photo itself? I know many people do different things..what do you do?

This not being portrait work.

I wasn't going to use borders. But with some photos not at the right scale that may be in demand, a border is a must unless I crop. I think I have to start shooting just for that crop as well.

Personnally I want to include my name. It's like a painting. I want people to see it and go..oh..that is who took this.

What do you think..do?
    My new blog as of Nov/10
    http://katchickloski.wordpress.com/

Marko is offline Administrator
    My Photos
    Please do NOT edit my photos
    Critiques
    Critique my photos anywhere in the forum

You are right lots of variety and ways to do this. A lot depends on how you present the photo, with or without matting for example.

Personally I like the title and signature to show outside the actual print, (let's say 1/8 inch under the bottom edge of the print) or a subtle signature in the bottom right corner of the print itself.
    - Please connect with me further
    Photo tours of Montreal - Private photography courses
    - Join the new Photography.ca Facebook page
    - Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/markokulik
    - Follow me on Google+ https://plus.google.com/u/0/111159185852360398018/posts
    - Check out the photography podcast

"You have to milk the cow quite a lot, and get plenty of milk to get a little cheese." Henri Cartier-Bresson from The Decisive Moment.

Iguanasan is offline Moderator
    My Photos
    Please feel free to edit my photos
    Critiques
    Critique my photos anywhere in the forum

I gave a few away and just because I had the name feature turned on whenever I exported from Picasa my name got stuck on the bottom right corner of the prints. I liked having it there because of what you said. You worked hard for that shot and would like a little credit. I hated it being there, though, as I felt it intruded into the shot. Putting it in a frame and signing the matte or maybe even the glass where it doesn't obstruct the photo seems like a more appropriate solution.

I guess you have to come up with your own answers. Most of your recent shots with that large white border and your name at the bottom are great. I really like that look and also I have been wondering how you do it. Make that part of the frame though and not part of the print unless the print is being sold/given away without the frame.
    “If you are out there shooting, things will happen for you. If you’re not out there, you’ll only hear about it.” – Jay Maisel
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Feel free to edit my shots ONLY for use on this forum and critique my shots in ANY discussion area.
    Flickr | Blog | Google+

kat
    kat is offline Senior Member
    My Photos
    Critiques
    Only critique photos posted in the critique forum

Thanks. I've printed a few off with that border and name under. They look fine but wondering if that is my best option, one that I will be happy with.

No frames for me..lol! Too many out there and I've learnt not to guess what any one would like..lol.
    My new blog as of Nov/10
    http://katchickloski.wordpress.com/

Mad Aussie is offline Moderator
    My Photos

For me it's realy up to the customer demands. Most of the photos I sell are events though so they are just simply photos of high res and no borders, sigs etc at all. But if they wanted a border then I'd give it to them.

If I prepare some of the recent WA shots I got for sale I'll probably do something similar to what marko has mentioned as I've printed a couple that way for myself before.