Does Anyone Sell Their Pictures?

This is a discussion on Does Anyone Sell Their Pictures? within the Off topic forum forums, part of the General category; Now that I am retired I have been mulling over the idea of selling my prints at Craft shows and ...

Scotty is offline Junior Member
    St. Catharines, Ontario (The Miami of Canada!)
    My Photos
    Please ask before editing my photos
    Critiques
    Critique my photos anywhere in the forum

Default Does Anyone Sell Their Pictures?

Now that I am retired I have been mulling over the idea of selling my prints at Craft shows and Fairs, etc. I have thousands of images and it seems a waste that few people ever get to see them. Anyone else do this? It would be nice to chat with people who have ventured into this before me. (Of course, I am not talking about professional photographers who make their living selling their work.) If you too are an amateur and have a way of selling some of your prints, please contact me. Cheers.

theantiquetiger is offline Moderator
    My Photos
    Please feel free to edit my photos
    Critiques

I dabbled in it, talking to coffee shops, restaurants, etc, getting my photos hung for sale. There was really no big money in it. There was a couple New Orleans prints that I sold several copies. I did have mine hanging in a gift/antique shop, that did pretty well for me. The biggest thing is the initial cost of printing/framing several prints. My first show, I spent a few hundred dollars and didn't sell a single image. I ended up doing mine on canvas, to keep the cost of framing down. I used CGProPrints.com. They have a great product at a great price. I can print a 20"x30" canvas wrap (44cmx 66cm) for about $40, and sell for $150-$200 a print. One thing about selling to the public, its more about the subject matter than quality of the image. I probably made a couple thousand dollars over the course of three or four years.

Here were my three biggest sellers. Funny thing is, they were all taken the same morning, only an hour apart:

pirates alley by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

foggy st louis by Chris Campbell, on Flickr

foggy1 by Chris Campbell, on Flickr
    "The worst thing about taking a great image is that your next one has to be better!"

Scotty is offline Junior Member
    St. Catharines, Ontario (The Miami of Canada!)
    My Photos
    Please ask before editing my photos
    Critiques

Thank you for the feedback and sharing your experience. Great pictures and I really love the first one.

Years ago, not so much recently, I recall seeing vendors at flea markets, craft shows, and fairs selling their prints. Each photo would be in an inexpensive cardboard frame and inserted into a plastic sleeve. This obviously was to protect the print from being damaged while buyers were sorting through them. I wouldn't expect to get rich (LOL) but it would be something fun to do (When this Covid thing diminishes) and it might even stroke my ego a bit to see people paying some money for my images. Just curious if anyone still does this or if everything is done online these days.